Advertisers have lots of choices for parceling out precious ad dollars.
The challenge is to focus on the best-qualified targets while delivering in scale to an audience large enough to impact top line sales and bottom line results.
Online display advertising has unique advantages over direct mail, print, and broadcast media in meeting this challenge.
- Hyper-targeting can identify audience more precisely than generalized readership, zip codes and delivery zones demographics.
- Online activity is so pervasive that ad exposures are delivered in scale.
- Real-time analysis can deploy campaign assets to optimize for results.
Consider what hyper-targeting can mean for your marketing strategy.
- Messaging differences to your customers and prospects.
- Targeting messages by behavioral and purchasing characteristics.
- Cross-device targeting to find the right users as they migrate throughout their day from PC to smartphone to tablet.
- Re-targeting to readers that have not yet completed the desired result.
- Messaging sequencing to build on what your targets actually view.
- Focus campaign dollars to reduce wasted broadcast, print, and direct mail dollars on unqualified viewers.
Enterprise-size organizations have had an exclusive hold on these tactics for years because of budget commitments. Smaller companies are now re-evaluating their budgets. Instead of a series of one-shot expenditures, online display creates a continuous presence that keeps your ad dollars available to be directed towards your defined targets.
Data sets, software, and delivery mechanisms are the cornerstones to successful online display campaigns.
Look for resources with data sets that are huge in both the sheer number of individuals, and the scope of information on file for each of them. With that much data, they’ll have invested in the data management platform technology to create your hyper-targeted audiences. Key features and capabilities should include:
- Extensive 1st party data, not just cookie tracking histories.
- More data points for precise audience targeting.
- Full-scale market reach to create the targeted audience in scale for your campaign.
And besides defining your audience, these resources will have the means to deliver your message so you’re on a level playing field with the big advertisers.
- Thousands of publishers’ web sites for message delivery.
- Real-time Bidding so your dollars will win the ad space.
- Facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn social network access.
- Integration with mobile and tablet apps to expand your reach to those users.
These are some of the reasons that Internet advertising is pulling ahead as the number one – but not exclusive – choice for businesses that balance the risk to their ad dollars.
These businesses use a mix of Internet display with the traditional 20th Century media to capitalize on the targeting to audience size ratios that these media offer while minimizing the waste.